[Numpy-discussion] Do we want scalar casting to behave as it does at the moment?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 06:37:09 EST 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Andrew Collette
<andrew.collette at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree the current behavior is confusing.  Regardless of the details
> of what to do, I suppose my main objection is that, to me, it's really
> unexpected that adding a number to an array could result in an
> exception.

I realized when I thought about it, that I did not have a clear idea
of your exact use case.  How does the user specify the thing to add,
and why do you need to avoid an error in the case that adding would
overflow the type?  Would you mind giving an idiot-level explanation?

Best,

Matthew