[Numpy-discussion] Windows, blas, atlas and dlls

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Mon Feb 18 16:12:10 EST 2013

On 02/18/2013 09:23 PM, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> 18.02.2013 20:41, Dag Sverre Seljebotn kirjoitti:
> [clip]
>> I think there should be a new project, pylapack or similar, for this,
>> outside of NumPy and SciPy. NumPy and SciPy could try to import it, and
>> if found, fetch a function pointer table. (If not found, just stay with
>> what has been working for a decade.)
>>
>> The main motivation would be to decouple building NumPy from linking
>> with BLAS and have that all happen at run-time. But a Cython interface
>> would follow naturally too.
>
> The main motivation for sticking it into Scipy would be a bit different
> --- since the build and distribution infra is in place for Scipy,
> putting it in scipy.linalg makes it more easily available for a larger
> number of people than some random 3-rd party module.

Right. In my case it's rather the case that the build and distribution
infra is *not* in place for my needs :-). Yes, it was definitely from
the POV of power-users on HPC clusters who want to tinker with the
build, not as wide reach as possible.

> We already ship low-level f2py bindings, so I don't see a reason for not
> shipping Cython ones too.

Well, in that case (and for the information of anybody else interested,
Pauli already knows this), the fwrap-generated files from the SciPy .NET
port may be a good starting point,

https://github.com/enthought/scipy-refactor/blob/refactor/scipy/linalg/flapack.pyx.in

Dag Sverre