[Numpy-discussion] Vectorized percentile function in Numpy (PR #2970)

Jonathan Helmus jjhelmus at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 13:13:52 EDT 2013

     Back in December it was pointed out on the scipy-user list[1] that
numpy has a percentile function which has similar functionality to
scipy's stats.scoreatpercentile.  I've been trying to harmonize these
two functions into a single version which has the features of both.
     Scipy PR 374[2] introduced a version which look the parameters from
both the scipy and numpy percentile function and was accepted into Scipy
with the plan that it would be depreciated when a similar function was
introduced into Numpy.  Then I moved to enhancing the Numpy version with
Pull Request 2970 [3].  With some input from Sebastian Berg the
percentile function was rewritten with further vectorization, but
neither of us felt fully comfortable with the final product.  Can
someone look at implementation in the PR and suggest what should be done
from here?

  Cheers,

     - Jonathan Helmus

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/33331