[Numpy-discussion] Raveling, reshape order keyword unnecessarily confuses index and memory ordering

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 14:44:29 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
<chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Sebastian Berg
> <sebastian at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
>>> the context where it gets applied. So giving the same strategy two
>>> different names is silly; if anything it's the contexts that should
>>> have different names.
>>>

>> Yup, thats how I think about it too...
>
> me too...
>
>> But I would really love if someone would try to make the documentation
>> simpler!
>
> yes, I think this is where the solution lies.

No question that better docs would be an improvement, let's all agree on that.

We all agree that 'order' is used with two different and orthogonal
meanings in numpy.

I think we are now more or less agreeing that:

np.reshape(a, (3, 4), index_order='F')

is at least as clear as:

np.reshape(a, (3, 4), order='F')

Do I have that right so far?