[Numpy-discussion] NumPy to CPU+GPU compiler, looking for tests

Frédéric Bastien nouiz at nouiz.org
Mon Oct 29 12:01:51 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Henry Gomersall <heng at cantab.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 11:49 -0400, Frédéric Bastien wrote:
>> That is possible.
>>
> Great!

Just to be clear, I mean this is possible to make it work. We do not
do that for now. Also, sharing the memory on the CPU and GPU is not
trivial if we want that to be efficient. So I would be surprised that
we make it work except by copy when needed. Most of the time, if the
data is on the GPU, it will be better to keep it there, as the
transfer overhead will probably be too high to gain efficiency by
using the GPU.

>> The gpu nd array project I talked above work on the CPU and the GPU in
>> OpenCL and with CUDA. But there is much stuff that is in numpy that we
>> didn't ported.
>
> This is: https://github.com/inducer/compyte/wiki right?

yes

>> We started integrating it into Theano. So this mean the GPU code from
>> Theano will be ported to this project, so there will be more code
>> available later.
>>
>> If some people are willing to help/collaborate don't hesitate. I think
>> we should collaborate much more on GPU/OpenCL code then we do now.
>> That was part of the goal of gpu nd array. There is the PyCUDA and
>> PyOpenCL authors that also collaborate with us.
>
> I'm interested, but somewhat an opencl rooky with limited time! I'll
> have a play when I have a moment.

Great. I think that people work better when they work on stuff that
motivate them. If you have any algo event if simple that you want to
work on do not hesitate.

Fred