[Numpy-discussion] Use OpenBLAS for the binary releases?

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Tue Nov 20 12:03:03 EST 2012

On 20.11.2012 15:38, David Cournapeau wrote:

> I support this as well in principle for our binary release: one issue
> is that we don't have the infrastructure on mac to build an installer
> with multi-arch support, and we can't assume every mac out there has
> SSE 3 or 4 available.

Perhaps we could check the CPU architecture at run-time, and then load
(or install) the correct extension module? OpenBLAS does have functions
for testing if SSE 3 or 4 are available, which we could adapt:

https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/blob/master/cpuid.h
https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/blob/master/cpuid_x86.c

cf. the last function in cpuid_x86.c called "get_sse".

> We would need more testing first, as this is not a change to make lightly.

I'm not saying it will be easy :)

Sturla