[Numpy-discussion] Compiling NumPy on Windows for Python 3.3

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 10 18:04:31 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Since the NumPy 1.7.0b2 release didn't include a Windows
>> (32 bit) installer for Python 3.3, I am considering compiling it
>> myself for local testing. What compiler is recommended?
>

> Either MSVC or MinGW 3.4.5. For the latter see
> https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor

Thanks Ralf,

I was trying with MSVC 9.0 installed, but got this cryptic error:

   C:\Downloads\numpy-1.7.0b2 > C:\python33\python setup.py build
   error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

After sprinkling distutils with debug statements, I found it was
looking for MSVC v10 (not numpy's fault but the error is most
unhelpful).

Presumably "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition" is
the appropriate thing to download?
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2010-express

Thanks,

Peter