[Numpy-discussion] empty chararrays (ticket 1948)

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 13:03:39 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In ticket 1948 a backwards compatibility issue with chararray is reported.
> Indexing a chararray with [] or a bool array of False used to return [] in
> numpy 1.2.1 (consistent with ndarray behavior), but now returns an empty
> string. Unfortunately this changed behavior has been present for the 1.5.x
> and 1.6.x releases.
>
> So the question is if this should be changed back or not? The change was
> likely unintentional; there's no test for it.

I believe the stsci folks were maintaining chararray, although I don't see
anyone from there with commit permissions. Hmm... I'd be inclined to
reinstate the old behavior, but the stsci folks may have deliberately made
the change, I'd like to hear from them first.

Chuck