[Numpy-discussion] Meta: help, devel and stackoverflow

srean srean.list at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 16:50:24 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This thread is a perfect example of why another list is needed.

+1

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh - dear.   I think the point that most of us agreed on was that
> having a different from: address wasn't a perfect solution for giving
> people space for asking newbie type questions.  No-one has to read an
> email.  If it looks boring or silly or irrelevant to your concerns,
> well, then ignore it.

Looking at the same mails, it doesn't seem to me that most of us have
agreed on that. It seems most have us  have expressed that they will
be satisfied with two different lists but are open about considering
the stackoverflow model. The latter will require more work and time to
get it going copmpared to the former.

Aside:
A logical conclusion of your "dont read mails that dont interest you"
would be that spam is not a problem, after all  no one has to read
spam. If it looks boring or silly or irrelevant to your concerns,
well, then ignore it.

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:

> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4131462

It seems it was mostly driven an argumentative troll, who had decided
beforehand to disagree with some of the other folks and went about
cooking up interpretations so that he/she can complain about them.
Sadly, this list shows such tendencies at times as well.

Anecdotal data-point:
I have been  happy with SO in general. It works for certain types of
queries very well. OTOH if the answer to the question is known only to
a few and he/she does not happen to be online at  time the question
was posted, and he/she does not "pull" such possible questions by
key-words, that question is all but history.

The difference is that on a mailing list questions are "pushed" on to
people who might be able to answer it, whereas in SO model people have
to actively seek questions they want to answer. Unanticipated, niche
questions tend to disappear.