[Numpy-discussion] Meta: help, devel and stackoverflow

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 15:42:29 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Olivier Delalleau <shish at keba.be> wrote:
> +1 for a numpy-users list without "dev noise".

Moderately strong vote against splitting the mailing lists into devel and user.

As we know, this list can be unhappy and distracting, but I don't
think splitting the lists is the right approach to that problem.

Splitting the lists sends the wrong signal.  I'd rather that we show
by example that the developers listen to all voices, and that the
users should expect to become developers. In other words that the
boundary between the user and developer is fluid and has no explicit
boundaries.

As data points, I make no distinction between scipy-devel and
scipy-user, nor cython-devel and cython-user.  Policing the
distinction ('please post this on the user mailing list') is a boring
job and doesn't make anyone more cheerful.

I don't believe help questions are getting lost any more than devel
questions are, but I'm happy to be corrected if someone has some data.

Cheers,

Matthew