[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.7 release delays

Jonathan T. Niehof jniehof at lanl.gov
Wed Jun 27 08:58:44 EDT 2012

On 06/26/2012 06:15 PM, Skipper Seabold wrote:

> My uninformed opinion from the sidelines: For me, this begged the
> question of why projects would wait so long and be upgrading 1.5.x ->
> 1.7.x. it sounded to me like an outreach problem.
lenny: none
squeeze: 1.4.1
wheezy: 1.6.2

hardy: 1.0.4
lucid: 1.3.0
precise: 1.6.1

Even those of us who are developing downstream aren't necessarily
rushing to hand-roll all the dependencies. Our users certainly aren't
and the alternatives of abandoning support for earlier versions of numpy
or having a bunch of version tests aren't appealing, either.

I am somewhat surprised by the notion of breaking API compatibility
without changing the major version number.

--
Jonathan Niehof
ISR-3 Space Data Systems

Phone: 505-667-9595
email: jniehof at lanl.gov

Correspondence /
Technical data or Software Publicly Available