[Numpy-discussion] automatic differentiation with PyAutoDiff

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Thu Jun 14 17:42:28 EDT 2012

On Jun 14, 2012, at 1:53 PM, James Bergstra wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>> Indeed that would be great as sympy already has already excellent math
>>> expression rendering.
>>>
>>> An alternative would be to output mathml or something similar that
>>> could be understood by the mathjax rendering module of the IPython
>>> notebook.
>>
>> I'd find it quite useful if it could spit out the derivative as Python
>> code that I could check and integrate into my source. I often have a
>> particular function that I need to optimize in many different
>> situations, but would rather not pull in a whole (complex and perhaps
>> fragile) bytecode introspection library just to repeatedly recompute
>> the same function on every run...
>>
>> -N
>
> I was hoping to get by with bytecode-> bytecode interface, are there
> bytecode -> source tools that could help here?

There have been some attempts in the past.    The most advanced tool I've seen here is by Sean Ross-Ross:    https://github.com/srossross/meta

Here's an example:

import meta
# get some code object (i.e. from compile or from func.func_code --- with no return statement)
mod2 = meta.decompile(code)
meta.dump_python_source(mod2)

-Travis