[Numpy-discussion] boolean indexing change

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Sun Jun 10 20:31:36 EDT 2012

It is unfortunate that this was committed to master.  This should be backed out and is a blocker for 1.7.   Can someone help me identify which commit made the change?

This is a rather significant change and changes the documented behavior of NumPy substantially.   This should definitely not occur in 1.7

The documented behavior (Guide to NumPy, pg.  84) of boolean indexing is that

   x[obj] is equivalent to x[obj.nonzero()]

The shape of advanced indexing is not restricted to the shape of of x.      I suspect this change was made when it was presumed the next release would be 2.0 and such behavior could presumably be changed somewhat?  But, was there a discussion about this?

-Travis