[Numpy-discussion] GSOC

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 3 13:41:28 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Jaidev Deshpande
<deshpande.jaidev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Documentation is specificsly excluded from GSoC (at least it was a
>> couple years ago when I last was involved)
>
> Documentation wasn't excluded last year from GSoC, there were quite a
> few projects that required a lot of documentation.

sure -- it's certanly encouraged to docuemnt code that gets written, but...

> But yes, there was no "documentation only" project.

exactly -- from the 2011 GSoC FAQ:

12. Are proposals for documentation work eligible for Google Summer of Code?

 While we greatly appreciate the value of documentation, this program
is an exercise in developing code; we can't accept proposals for
documentation-only work at this time.

> Anyhow, it seems reasonable that testing alone can't be a project.
> What about benchmarking and the related statistics? Does that qualify
> as a worthwhile project (again, GSoC or otherwise)?

I didn't find a specific RAQ, but from the above, I suspect that all
projects must be primarily about producing code: not documenting,
testing, or benchmarking. Those, of course, should all be part of code
development, but not the focus.

- Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov