[Numpy-discussion] Determining the 'viewness' of an array, and flags.owndata confusion

Val Kalatsky kalatsky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 01:38:38 EST 2012

Viewness is in the eyes of the beholder.
You have to use indirect methods to figure it out.
Probably the most robust approach is to go up the base chain until you get
None.

In [71]: c1=np.arange(16)
In [72]: c2=c1[::2]
In [73]: c4=c2[::2]
In [74]: c8=c4[::2]
In [75]: id(c8.base)==id(c4)
Out[75]: True
In [76]: id(c8.base.base.base)==id(c1)
Out[76]: True

The graph of dependencies is only a tree, so sooner or later you'll get to
the root.

Val