[Numpy-discussion] Possible roadmap addendum: building better text file readers

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Thu Feb 23 15:08:52 EST 2012

This is actually on my short-list as well --- it just didn't make it to the list.

In fact, we have someone starting work on it this week.  It is his first project so it will take him a little time to get up to speed on it, but he will contact Wes and work with him and report progress to this list.

Integration with np.loadtxt is a high-priority.  I think loadtxt is now the 3rd or 4th "text-reading" interface I've seen in NumPy.  I have no interest in making a new one if we can avoid it.   But, we do need to make it faster with less memory overhead for simple cases like Wes describes.

-Travis