[Numpy-discussion] NumPy in PyPy ?

xavier.gnata at gmail.com xavier.gnata at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 16:10:22 EST 2012

I'm trying to promote the usage of python and scientific python modules
at work.
I fully agree with the fact that numpy is only the entrance point to
scientific python.
Without at least scipy and matplotlib, it is hopeless to forget about
matlab.

Speed : In my usecases, numpy is decently fast. However, I'm using
numexpr and  would like get to same about of vanilla numpy (and then
with an option to use the GPU...)

Backward compatibility is key : We want to reuse our code during let say
at least 5 to 10 years.
Matlab is ok in terms of backward compatibility. numpy should be (and
not only numpy...scipy...matplotlib and so on).
It is ok to run an *automated* tool to correct the code if some breakage
occurs...but it shall be reliable and automated.

go,scientific python,  go! :)

Cheers,
Xavier