[Numpy-discussion] [IPython-dev] Discussion with Guido van Rossum and (hopefully) core python-dev on scientific Python and Python3

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Tue Feb 14 12:16:19 EST 2012

On 02/14/2012 08:59 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Mark Wiebe<mwwiebe at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> It might be nice to turn the matrix class into a short class hierarchy,
>
> am I confused, or did a thread get mixed in? This seems to be a
> numpy/scipy thing, not a Python3 thing. Or is there some support in
> Python itself required for this to be practical?

It was about the need for a dedicated matrix multiplication operator.

The idea is that if you have more decent, first-class matrices,
inherently different from arrays, that people tend to use for real-world
production code, then having a matrix-multiplication operator invoking
np.dot in Python 3 is less of an issue, because then it's obvious that
if you have a matrix then * can mean linear algebra multiplication
rather than elementwise multiplication. (The difference from the current
situation being that people avoid np.matrix because it's so similar to
np.ndarray that you too easily get confused).

I myself never missed a matrix multiplication operator, precisely
because my matrices are very often diagonal or triangular or sparse or
something else, so having syntax candy simply to invoke np.dot wouldn't
help me.

Dag