[Numpy-discussion] Logical indexing and higher-dimensional arrays.

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Wed Feb 8 10:29:49 EST 2012

On 08.02.2012 15:49, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> This sort of thing would take time, but is not out of the question in my mind because I suspect the number of users and use-cases of "broadcasted" fancy-indexing is small.

In Matlab this (misfeature?) is generally used to compensate for the
lack of broadbasting. So many Matlab programmers manually broadcast by
fancy indexing with an array of (boolean) ones (it's less verbose than
reshape). But with broadcasting for binary array operators (NumPy and
Fortran 90), this is never needed.

Sturla