[Numpy-discussion] how to use numpy-vendor

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Tue Aug 14 06:33:02 EDT 2012

On 08/14/2012 06:34 AM, Ondřej Čertík wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How should one use the "vendor" repository (https://github.com/numpy/vendor)
> in Wine? Should I put the binaries into .wine/drive_c/Python25/libs/,
> or somewhere else?
> I've search all mailinglists and I didn't find any information on it.
> I vaguely remember
> that somebody mentioned it somewhere, but I am not able to find it.
> Once I understand it,
> I'll send a PR updating the README.
>

> I've played with OpenBlas and managed to compile numpy with it on linux,
> following the tutorial [1] and it works, so at least on linux it's clear to me.

One thing to be aware of with OpenBlas is that it is *very* tuned to the
CPU at hand. As in, every CPU has hand-coded *assembly* and the makefile
more or less probes for which specific CPU generation from which vendor
you have and compiles and link the corresponding assembly file. So you
may have to take some care that you don't compile and ship a version
that breaks if you don't have SSE3 installed etc...

(Unless OpenBlas has changed recently. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm
saying it should be looked into.)

Dag