[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Tue Apr 24 20:45:34 EDT 2012

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012, Matthew Brett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >

> > 2012/4/24 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za <javascript:;>>

> >> Why are we having a discussion on NAN's in a thread on consensus?
> >> This is a strong indicator of the problem we're facing.
> >>

> > We seem to have a consensus regarding interest in the topic.
>
> This email is mainly to Travis.
>
> This thread seems to be dying, condemning us to keep repeating the
> same conversation with no result.
>
> Chuck has made it clear he is not interested in this conversation.
> Until it is clear you are interested in this conversation, it will
> keep dying.   As you know, I think that will be very bad for numpy,
> and, as you know, I care a great deal about that.
>
> So, please, if you care about this, and agree that something should be
> done, please, say so, and if you don't agree something should be done,
> say so.  It can't better without your help,
>
> See you,
>
> Matthew

Matthew,

I agree with the general idea of consensus, and I think many of us here
agree with the ideal in principle. Quite frankly, I am not sure what more
 you want from us. You are only going to get so much leeway on a
philosophical discussion on goverance on a numerical computation mail list.
The thread keeps "dying" (i say it is getting distracted) because coders
are champing at the bit to get stuff done.

In a sense, i think there is a consensus, if you will, to move on.  All in
favor, say "Aye!"

Cheers!
Ben Root