[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 14:05:09 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> If you hang around big FOSS projects, you'll see the word "consensus"
> come up a lot. For example, the glibc steering committee recently
> dissolved itself in favor of governance "directly by the consensus of
> the people active in glibc development"[1]. It's the governing rule of
> the IETF, which defines many of the most important internet
> standards[2]. It is the "primary way decisions are made on
> Wikipedia"[3]. It's "one of the fundamental aspects of accomplishing
> things within the Apache framework"[4].
>
> [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/488778/
> [2] https://www.ietf.org/tao.html#getting.things.done
> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Consensus
> [4] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

I think the big problem here is that Chuck (I hope I'm not
misrepresenting him) is not interested in discussion of process, and
the last time we had a specific thread on governance, Travis strongly
implied he was not very interested either, at least at the time.

In that situation, there's rather a high threshold to pass before
getting involved in the discussion, and I think you're seeing some
evidence for that.

So, as before, and as we discussed on gchat :) - whether this
discussion can go anywhere depends on Travis.   Travis - what do you
think?

See you,

Matthew