[Numpy-discussion] [Meta] Was: Re: Removing masked arrays for 1.7? (Was 1.7 blockers)

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:01:59 EDT 2012

[ Making a separate thread so the NA one can stay on topic, since I
haven't actually followed the discussion well enough to contribute on
the technical points ]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> The absurd over-statement is the following:
>
> " I'm afraid I have to disagree: you seem to be proposing an absolute,
> 'zero-tolerance'-style policy against any off-list discussion.  "

Well, that's how I understood what you said; sorry if I
mis-interpreted it, but that is indeed how I read your post.

> The question - which seems to me  to be sensible rational and
> important - is how to get better at on-list discussion, and whether
> taking this particular discussion mainly off-list is good or bad in
> that respect.

And on that we completely agree.  I just think that in this case, we
can try to give people a chance and see if things go better: things
have changed since last summer and there's encouraging evidence to
suggest that a solid, open discussion will take place this time
around.  I just propose we give that process a chance first...

Best,