[Numpy-discussion] Getting C-function pointers from Python to C

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Thu Apr 12 17:55:52 EDT 2012

On Apr 12, 2012, at 4:51 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:

> On 04/12/2012 11:13 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>> Dag,
>>
>> Thanks for the link to your CEP.  This is the first time I've seen it.   You probably referenced it before, but I hadn't seen it.
>>
>> That CEP seems along the lines of what I was thinking of.    We can make scipy follow that CEP and NumPy as well in places that it needs function pointers.
>>
>> I can certainly get behind it with Numba and recommend it to SciPy (and write the scipy.integrate.quad function to support it).
>>
>> Thanks for the CEP.
>
> Great. I'll pass this message on to the Cython list and see if anybody
> wants to provide input (but given the scope, it should be minor tweaks
> and easy to accommodate in whatever code you write).
>
> You will fill in more of the holes as you implement this in Numba and
> SciPy of course (my feeling is they will support it before Cython; let's
> say I hope this happens within the next year).

Very nice.  This will help immensely I think.    It's actually just what I was looking for.     Just to be clear, by " pad to sizeof(void*) alignment", you mean that after the first 2 bytes there are (sizeof(void*) - 2)  bytes before the first function pointer in the memory block pointed to by the PyCObject / Capsule?

Thanks,

-Travis

> Dag
>

>> -Travis

>>> I think this discussion is moot -- the way I reverse-engineer Travis is
>>> that there's no time for a cross-project discussion about this now.
>>> That's not too bad, Cython will go its own way (eventually), and perhaps
>>> we can merge in the future...
>>>
>>> But for the entertainment value:
>>>
>>> In my CEP [1] I descripe two access mechanisms, one slow (for which I
>>> think capsules is fine), and a faster one.
>>>
>>> Obviously, only the slow mechanism will be implemented first.
>>>
>>> So the only things I'd like changed in how Travis' want to do this is
>>>
>>> a) Storing the signature string data in the struct, rather than as a char*;
>>>
>>>     void *func
>>>     char string[1]; // variable-size-allocated and null-terminated
>>>
>>> b) Allow for multiple signatures in the same capsule, i.e. "dd->d",
>>> "ff->f", in the same capsule.

>>> Having NumPy and Cython depend on a common library, and getting that to
>>> work for users, seems rather utopic to me. And if I propose that Cython
>>> have a hard dependency of NumPy for a feature as basic as calli.ng a
>>> callback object then certain people will be very angry.
>>>
>>> Anyway, in my CEP I went to great pains to avoid having to do this, with
>>> a global registration mechanism for multiple such types.
>>>
>>> Regarding your idea for the __call__, that's the exact opposite of what
>>> I'm doing in the CEP. I'm pretty sure that what I described is what we
>>> want for Cython; we will never tell our users to pass capsules around.
>>> What I want is this:
>>>
>>> @numba
>>> def f(x): return 2 * x
>>>
>>> @cython.inline
>>> def g(x): return 3 * x
>>>
>>> print f(3)
>>> print g(3)
>>> print scipy.integrate.quad(f, 0.2, 3) # fast!