[Numpy-discussion] Getting C-function pointers from Python to C

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Tue Apr 10 09:38:39 EDT 2012

On 04/10/2012 03:29 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no>  wrote:

>> Rereading this, perhaps this is the statement you seek: Yes, doing a
>> simple strcmp is much, much faster than jumping all around in memory to
>> check the equality of two lists of dtypes. If it is a string less than 8
>> bytes in length with the comparison string known at compile-time (the
>> Cython case) then the comparison is only a couple of CPU instructions,
>> as you can check 64 bits at the time.
>
> Right, that's what I wasn't getting until you mentioned strcmp :-).
>
> That said, the core numpy dtypes are singletons. For this purpose, the
> signature could be stored as C array of PyArray_Descr*, but even if we
> store it in a Python tuple/list, we'd still end up with a contiguous
> array of PyArray_Descr*'s. (I'm assuming that we would guarantee that
> it was always-and-only a real PyTupleObject* here.) So for the
> function we're talking about, the check would compile down to doing
> the equivalent of a 3*pointersize-byte strcmp, instead of a 5-byte
> strcmp. That's admittedly worse, but I think the difference between
> these two comparisons is unlikely to be measurable, considering that
> they're followed immediately by a cache miss when we actually jump to
> the function pointer.

Yes, for singletons you're almost as good off. But if you have a struct
argument, say

void f(double x, struct {double a, float b} y);

then PEP 3118 gives you the string "dT{dd}", whereas with NumPy dtypes
you won't have a singleton?

I can agree that that is a minor issue though (you could always *make*
NumPy dtypes always be singleton).

I think the real argument is that for Cython, it just wouldn't do to
rely on NumPy dtypes (or NumPy being installed at all) for something as
basic as calling to a C-level function; and strings are a simple substitute.

And since it is a format defined in PEP 3118, NumPy should already
support these kinds of strings internally (i.e. conversion to/from dtype).

Dag