[Numpy-discussion] load from text files Pull Request Review

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 14 16:01:39 EDT 2011

On 9/13/11 1:01 PM, Christopher Jordan-Squire wrote:
> Sorry, I cheated by reading the docs. :-)

me too...

> """
> numpy.resize(a, new_shape)
>
> Return a new array with the specified shape.
>
> If the new array is larger than the original array, then the new array
> is filled with repeated copies of a. Note that this behavior is
> different from a.resize(new_shape) which fills with zeros instead of
> repeated copies of a.
> """

see the: "this behavior is different from a.resize(new_shape)"

so:

     a.resize(new_shape, refcheck=True)

     Change shape and size of array in-place.

     Parameters
     ----------
     new_shape : tuple of ints, or `n` ints
         Shape of resized array.
     refcheck : bool, optional
         If False, reference count will not be checked. Default is True.

     Returns
     -------
     None

> The copying I meant was that numpy.resize will fill the resized array
> with repeated copies of the data. So np.empty followed by np.append
> avoids that.

numpy.ndarray.resize is a different method, and I'm pretty sure it
should be as fast or faster that np.empty + np.append.

It is often confusing that there is a numpy function and ndarray method
with the same name and slightly different usage.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov