[Numpy-discussion] NA masks in the next numpy release?

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Oct 28 06:03:42 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:45:09AM +0200, Han Genuit wrote:
> Also, I like the short and concise abbreviation for 'Not Applicable',
> NA. It has more common uses than IGNORE.
> (See also here:
> http://www.johndcook.com/R_language_for_programmers.html#missing)

That's a very R centric point a view: you know what NA stands for, thus
you find it meaningful. I can tell you that when I work with naive users,
I keep having to explain that NA stands for 'not available', whereas
IGNORE is at least somewhat explicit.

Acronyms are a curse for communication, and they tend to be very domain
specific.

My two euro-cents (a rising currency, now that it has been saved by our
generous leaders)