[Numpy-discussion] float128 / longdouble on PPC - is it broken?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Oct 26 04:07:01 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess from your answer that such a warning would be complicated to
> implement, and if that's the case, I can imagine it would be low
> priority.

I assume the problem is more that it would be a weirdo check that
becomes a maintenance burden ("what is this doing here? Do we still
need it? who knows?") than that it would be hard to do.

You can easily do it yourself as a workaround...

if not str(np.longdouble(2)**64 - 1).startswith("1844"):
  warn("Printing of longdoubles is fubared! Beware! Beware!")

-- Nathaniel