[Numpy-discussion] NA masks in the next numpy release?

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sun Oct 23 14:52:24 EDT 2011

23.10.2011 20:21, Nathaniel Smith kirjoitti:
> I was surprised today to notice that Mark's NA mask support appears to
> have been merged into numpy master and is described in the draft
> release notes[1]. My surprise is because merging it to mainline
> without any discussion on the list seems to contradict what what
> Travis wrote in July, that it was being developed as an experiment and
> explicitly *not* intended to be merged without further discussion:

FWIW, the changes did not go in through a "back door", but through
a pull request:

     https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/141

Whether issues with the API were resolved or not before merging, I don't
know.

(One can also ask whether it would be a good idea to forward noise from
the pull requests to the ML.)

[clip]
> Can anyone explain what the plan is here? Is the idea to continue the
> discussion and rework the API while it is in master, delaying the next
> release for as long as it takes to achieve consensus? Or is there some
> mysterious git thing going on where "master" is actually an
> experimental branch and the real mainline development is happening
> somewhere else? Or something else I'm not thinking of? Please help me
> understand.

No, master is supposed to be the integration branch with only finished
stuff in it.

--
Pauli Virtanen