[Numpy-discussion] in the NA discussion, what can we agree on?

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sat Nov 5 20:02:21 EDT 2011

05.11.2011 23:22, T J kirjoitti:
[clip]
> So what do people expect out of ignored values?  It seems that we might
> need to extend the list you put forward so that it includes these
> desires. Since my primary use is with MISSING and not so much IGNORED,
> I'm not in a very good position to help extend that list.  I'd be
> curious to know if this present suggestion would work with how
> matplotlib uses masked arrays.

Another question is if non-propagating (N*C) ignored values would be
useful. I'm guessing that for these it would be possible to have the
expected behavior on assignment, while retaining commutativity, and they
would also behave as expected in reductions. It's a somewhat different
concept from np.ma, but I'm wondering if there would be real-world uses
for tagging values with "this number is not really here, act as if it
wasn't in the array".

--
Pauli Virtanen