[Numpy-discussion] Broken numpy install

Milan Mitrovic milan.v.mitrovic at gmail.com
Sat May 21 06:40:37 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my numpy installation. I installed numpy, scipy
and matplotlib from source, about one year ago (the macports install
wouldn't work for me). This worked fine untill I had some problems two
days ago (as it later turned out, completely unrelated to numpy) but
my thesis advisor suggested that I update numpy and scipy. Since then
I've been trying to make it work (and haven't worked on my thesis at
all).

So, I updated the git/svn code to the latest versions, re-ran build
and install and things don't work any more. I have a script that I am
trying to use and here is the error message that I get:

RuntimeError: module compiled against ABI version 1000009 but this
version of numpy is 2000000
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../ppm/libppm/utils/ppm_dbg/ppmdbg.py", line 2, in <module>
    from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d import Axes3D
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mpl_toolkits/mplot3d/__init__.py",
line 1, in <module>
    from axes3d import Axes3D
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mpl_toolkits/mplot3d/axes3d.py",
line 13, in <module>
    from matplotlib.axes import Axes, rcParams
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/axes.py",
line 12, in <module>
    import matplotlib.artist as martist
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/artist.py",
line 6, in <module>
    from transforms import Bbox, IdentityTransform, TransformedBbox,
TransformedPath
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/transforms.py",
line 34, in <module>
    from matplotlib._path import affine_transform
ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import

I have tried googling and followed every piece of advice I could find.
Nothing worked. Please let me know what info I need to provide so you
can help me. Or tell me a way to completely clean my system and start
all over (cause it seems that it is being built for the wrong python).

Btw, some people on #scipy on freenode suggested that I try running
the script with all interpreters I get from which -a python... they
all failed with the same error message.

Thanks in advance,
Milan Mitrovic