[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.6.0 [Problems on OS X w/ Python 2.6 and XCode 4]

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe at gmail.com
Mon May 16 06:41:55 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I have OSX 10.6.7, XCode 4, and Python.org python 2.6.6 and 2.7.1, where
2.7 is 64-bit.

With 2.7, easy_install successfully compiles and installs the package,
both over the web and with an explicit download.

With 2.6, there seems to be a problem with attempting to compile the PPC
architecture, seen in this error.

/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin10/4.0.1/as: assembler
(/usr/bin/../libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/as or
/usr/bin/../local/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/as) for architecture ppc not
installed

If I explicitly set CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to have "-arch i386 -arch x86_64"
in them as appropriate, it seems to work...

Is this a correctable bug in the packaging, or just a quirk of my setup?

Andrew