[Numpy-discussion] newbie question about boolean testing of array equality result

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Wed Mar 23 20:09:21 EDT 2011

Thanks for the responses, folks.

Robert, thanks for helping me come to terms with the situation, for
pointing out the perils of comparing NaNs, and particularly for the "not
isinstance(x, bool)" idea - some variant of this or attribute checking
as you suggest sounds like what we'll use.

Daniel, thank you also for your thoughtful guidance on floating point
numerical accuracy, and the best way to tackle comparisons using numpy.
However, I'm reluctant to go down that route - as I say, we otherwise
don't have any dependency on Numpy, and I'm reluctant to add one merely
so that I can stop numpy arrays from raising exceptions.

The sample code I showed you was over-simplified for clarity, perhaps to
the point of actually being misleading, for which I apologise. We're
comparing the result not just to NaN (for which we're actually, on
reflection, using math.is_nan()) but also to many other values, of
various types - The example of "== float('nan')" was just a (with
hindsight, badly chosen) representative example of that.

Best regards, and thanks for putting up with my whining,

     Jonathan

--
Jonathan Hartley    tartley at tartley.com    http://tartley.com
Made of meat.       +44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley