[Numpy-discussion] Fortran was dead ... [was Re:rewriting NumPy code in C or C++ or similar]

baker.alexander at gmail.com baker.alexander at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:33:01 EDT 2011

My two pence worth, my experience is across python, C++ and fortran (and a few other languages) and the posts here are interesting and relevant. I think that the true value of any of these languages is knowing any of them well, if you happen to work with other folks who share the same skills more the better. No more than that.

As a user of a very old large very fortran codebase as well as engineer of more structured approaches, I would take the OO toolset everytime, for reasons already covered.

The real challenge I see every day in scientific community is the lack of software craftmanship skills, code archiving, unit testing. End of two pence.

Alex