[Numpy-discussion] ANN: Numpy 1.6.1 release candidate 1

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 20 15:17:47 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> On 06/19/2011 05:21 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
>> > On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:08:18 -0500, Bruce Southey wrote:
>> > [clip]
>> cannot
>> >
>> > I think that's a result of Python 3.2 changing the extension module
>> > file naming scheme (IIRC to a versioned one).
>> >
>> > The '.pyd' ending and its Unix counterpart are IIRC hardcoded to the
>> > failing test, or some support code in Numpy. Clearly, they should
>> instead
>> > ask Python how it names the extensions modules. This information may be
>> > available somewhere in the `sys` module.

>>  Pauli,
>> I am impressed yet again!
>> It really saved a lot of time to understand the reason.
>>
>> A quick comparison between Python versions:
>> Python2.7: multiarray.so
>> Python3.2:  multiarray.cpython-32m.so
>>
>> Search for the extension leads to PEP 3149
>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3149/
>>

> That looked familiar:
> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1749
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/commit/ee0831a8
>

>> This is POSIX only which excludes windows. I tracked it down to the
>> list 'libname_ext' defined in file "numpy/ctypeslib.py"  line 100:
>> libname_ext = ['%s.so' % libname, '%s.pyd' % libname]
>>
>> On my 64-bit Linux system, I get the following results:
>> $ python2.4 -c "from distutils import sysconfig; print
>> sysconfig.get_config_var('SO')"
>> .so
>> $ python2.5 -c "from distutils import sysconfig; print
>> sysconfig.get_config_var('SO')"
>> .so
>> $ python2.7 -c "from distutils import sysconfig; print
>> sysconfig.get_config_var('SO')"
>> .so
>> $ python3.1 -c "from distutils import sysconfig;
>> print(sysconfig.get_config_var('SO'))"
>> .so
>> $ python3.2 -c "from distutils import sysconfig;
>> print(sysconfig.get_config_var('SO'))"
>> .cpython-32m.so
>>
>> My Windows 32-bit Python2.6  install:
>> '.pyd'
>>
>> Making the bug assumption that other OSes including 32-bit and 64-bit
>> versions also provide the correct suffix, this suggest adding the
>> import and modification as:
>>
>> import from distutils import sysconfig
>> libname_ext = ['%s%s' % (libname, sysconfig.get_config_var('SO'))]
>>
>> Actually if that works for Mac, Sun etc. then 'load_library' function
>> could be smaller.
>>

> The issue is that libraries built as Python extensions have the extra
> ".cpython-mu32", but other libraries on your system don't. And
> sysconfig.get_config_var('SO') is used for both. I don't see another config
> var that allows to distinguish between the two. Unless on platforms where it
> matters there are separate return values in sysconfig.get_config_vars('SO').
> [...]
test on 1.6.x, you can just checkout 1.6.x and cherry-pick the relevant
commit. I've done that for you at
https://github.com/rgommers/numpy/tree/sharedlib-ext-1.6.x

For completeness, this is how you grab it:
$ git remote add rgommers https://github.com/rgommers/numpy.git
$ git fetch rgommers
$ git co rgommers/sharedlib-ext-1.6.x

Cheers,