[Numpy-discussion] Using multiprocessing (shared memory) with numpy array multiplication

Robin robince at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 13:23:06 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> 2. There is also the question of when the process pool is spawned. Though
>> I haven't checked, I suspect it happens prior to calling pool.map. But if it
>> does not, this is a factor as well, particularly on Windows (less so on
>> Linux and Apple).
>
> It didn't work well on my Mac, so ti's either not an issue, or not
> Windows-specific, anyway.

I am pretty sure that the process pool is spawned when you create the
pool object instance.

>> 3.  "arrayList" is serialised by pickling, which has a significan
>> overhead.  It's not shared memory either, as the OP's code implies, but the
>> main thing is the slowness of cPickle.
>
> I'll bet this is a big issue, and one I'm curious about how to address, I
> have another problem where I need to multi-process, and I'd love to know a
> way to pass data to the other process and back *without* going through
> pickle. maybe memmapped files?

If you are on Linux or Mac then fork works nicely so you have read
only shared memory you just have to put it in a module before the fork
(so before pool = Pool() ) and then all the subprocesses can access it
without any pickling required. ie
myutil.data = listofdata
p = multiprocessing.Pool(8)
def mymapfunc(i):
    return mydatafunc(myutil.data[i])

p.map(mymapfunc, range(len(myutil.data)))

Actually that won't work because mymapfunc needs to be in a module so
it can be pickled but hopefully you get the idea.

Cheers

Robin