[Numpy-discussion] New functions.

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Wed Jun 1 23:06:19 EDT 2011

On May 31, 2011, at 8:08 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been contemplating new functions that could be added to numpy and thought I'd run them by folks to see if there is any interest.
>
> 1) Modified sort/argsort functions that return the maximum k values.
>     This is easy to do with heapsort and almost as easy with mergesort.

+1

> 2) Ufunc fadd (nanadd?) Treats nan as zero in addition. Should make a faster version of nansum possible.

+0  --- Some discussion at the data array summit led to the view that supporting nan-enabled dtypes (nanfloat64, nanfloat32, nanint64) might be a better approach for nan-handling.   This needs more discussion, but useful to mention in this context.

> 3) Fast medians.

Definitely order-statistics would be the right thing to handle generally.

-Travis