[Numpy-discussion] New functions.

Craig Yoshioka craigyk at me.com
Wed Jun 1 12:29:50 EDT 2011

yes, and its probably slower to boot.  A quick benchmark on my computer shows that:

a = np.zeros([4000,4000],'f4')+500

np.mean(a)
takes 0.02 secs

np.mean(a,dtype=np.float64)
takes 0.1 secs

np.mean(a.astype(np.float64))
takes 0.06 secs

so casting the whole array is almost 40% faster than setting the accumulator type!, I would imagine having the type-casting being done on the fly during the mean computation would be even faster.