[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 2.0 schedule

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Wed Jan 26 04:47:28 EST 2011

On 01/26/2011 02:05 AM, David wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 01:42 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just thought it was time to start discussing a release schedule for
>> numpy 2.0 so we have something to aim at. I'm thinking sometime in the
>> period April-June might be appropriate. There is a lot coming with the
>> next release: the Enthought's numpy refactoring, Mark's float16 and
>> iterator work, and support for IronPython. How do things look to the
>> folks involved in those projects?
>>
> One thing which I was wondering about numpy 2.0: what's the story for
> the C-API compared to 1.x for extensions. Is it fundamentally different
> so that extensions will need to be rewritten ? I especially wonder about
> scipy and cython's codegen backend,

For CPython, my understanding is that extensions that access struct
fields directly without accessor macros need to be changed, but not much
else. There's a "backwards-compatability" PyArray_* API for CPython.

That doesn't work for .NET, but neither does anything else in C
extensions. So in the SciPy port to .NET there's my efforts to replace
f2py with fwrap/Cython, and many SciPy C extensions will be rewritten in
Cython. These will use the Npy_* interface (or backwards-compatability
PyArray_* wrappers in numpy.pxd, but these only work in Cython under
.NET, not in C, due to typing issues (what is "object" and so on)).

Dag Sverre