[Numpy-discussion] Porting numpy to Python3

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 10:58:19 EST 2011

On 02/25/2011 02:01 AM, Algis Kabaila wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2011 18:54:13 Scott Sinclair wrote:
>> On 25 February 2011 06:22, Algis Kabaila
> <akabaila at pcug.org.au>  wrote:
>>> On Friday 25 February 2011 14:44:07 Algis Kabaila wrote:
>>> PS: a little investigation shows that my version of numpy
>>> is 1.3.0 and scipy is 0.7.2 - so ubuntu binaries are way
>>> behind the "bleeding edge"...
>> ... and built for the system Python (2.6), so even if the
>> Ubuntu binaries were more up to date you'd need to build
>> your own Numpy for Python 3.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Scott
> Scott,
>
> Good point!  Thanks.
>
> Al.

I just build numpy and scipy from source so I do not know how you get
Python 3 or which Ubuntu versions include recent numpy versions (there
is a upcoming release that will probably contain a more recent numpy).
It is very easy to install numpy and scipy from source on Linux although
it is important that Blas/Lapack/Altas are built and installed correctly
(I just use my distro's package).

Please see the following link for more details:
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux
There was also a recent post on the list as well.

Bruce