[Numpy-discussion] Testing the python buffer protocol (bf_getbuffer / tp_as_buffer)

Soeren Sonnenburg sonne at debian.org
Sat Dec 17 18:49:56 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 15:29 +0100, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> 17.12.2011 09:42, Soeren Sonnenburg kirjoitti:
> > Doesn't work, complaining that the object has no __buffer__ attribute.
> >
> > Digging into the numpy c code it seems numpy doesn't even support the
> > buffer protocol but only the deprecated (old) one
> > http://docs.python.org/c-api/objbuffer.html .
> [clip]
>
> Since Numpy version 1.5, the new buffer protocol is supported.

I've looked at the source code of numpy 1.6.1 and couldn't find the
respective code... I guess I must be doing something wrong but there
really was no call to PyObject_CheckBuffer() ...

The problem is I don't really know what is supposed to happen if the new
buffer protocol is supported by some class named say Foo. Could I then
do

x=Foo([1,2,3])

numpy.array([2,2,2])+x

and such operations?

Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962