[Numpy-discussion] NumPy Governance

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 12:25:24 EST 2011

On 12/05/2011 06:22 AM, Perry Greenfield wrote:
> I'm not sure I'm crazy about leaving final decision making for a
> board. A board may be a good way of carefully considering the issues,
> and it could make it's own recommendation (with a sufficient
> majority). But in the end I think one person needs to decide (and that
> decision may go against the board consensus, presumably only rarely).
>
> Why shouldn't that person be you?
>
> Perry

I have similar thoughts because I just do not see how a board would work
especially given that anyone can be a 'core developer' because the
distributed aspect removes that 'entry barrier'.

I also think that there needs to be something formal like Linux Kernel
Summit (see the excellent coverage by LWN.net;
http://lwn.net/Articles/KernelSummit2011/). I know that people get
together to talk at meetings or via invitation
(http://blog.fperez.org/2011/05/austin-trip-ipython-at-tacc-and.html).
This would provide a good opportunity to hash out concerns, introduce
new features and identify community needs that cannot be adequately
addressed via electronic communication.  The datarray is a 'good'
example of how this could work except that it has not been pushed
upstream yet! (It would be a excellent example if it had been pushed
upstream :-) hint, hint.)

I also must disagree with statement of Travis that "discussions happen
as they do now on the mailing list". This is simply not true because the
mailing lists, tickets and pull requests are not connected so these have
their own discussion threads. Sure there are some nice examples, Mark
did tell us about this NA branch but the actual merge was still a
surprise. So I think better communication of these such as emailing the
list with a set 'public comment period' before requests are merged
(longer periods for major changes).

Bruce