[Numpy-discussion] ANN: Numpy 1.6.0 beta 2

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 01:35:08 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Chris Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On 4/4/11 9:03 PM, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Charles R Harris

> >> Guess that wasn't tested before ;) I thought that was strange when I saw
> it.
> >> The source of the problem is line 2035 in npyio.py. Additionally, Since
> >> genloadtxt needs to have byte strings the 'rb" mode should probably be
> used.
> >> That works on linux, both for python 2 and python 3, but doing that
> might
> >> uncover genfromtxt problems on other platforms.
>
> > "rb" is fine on Windows with python 3.2, (that's what I tested
> > initially for this bug)
>
> IIUC, "Ub" is undefined -- "U" means universal newlines, which makes no
> sense when used with "b" for binary. I looked at the code a ways back,
> and I can't remember the resolution order, but there isn't any checking
> for incompatible flags.
>
> I'd expect that genfromtxt, being txt, and line oriented, should use
> 'rU'. but if it wants the raw line endings (why would it?) then rb
> should be fine.

"U" has been kept around for backwards compatibility, the python
documentation recommends that it not be used for new code. Whatever 'new'
means in this case ;) If it is unneeded for python 2.4 I say drop it.

Note that if you only test with unix (\n) and dos (\r\n) line endings,
> it may work with 'b', if it's splitting on '\n', but not if you try it
> with Mac endings (\r). Of course with OS-X mac endings are getting
> pretty uncommon.

I suppose we could try the different line endings on a single platform and
see what happens. It would be nice to know just how portable text really is.

Chuck