[Numpy-discussion] Question about masked arrays

Gökhan Sever gokhansever at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 17:03:10 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:

> I have been using masked arrays quite extensively.  My take on them is that
> if a masked array makes sense in that operation, then they should still work
> with the regular functions.  However, there have been many cases where a
> developer used np.asarray() instead of np.asanyarray() for their code, which
> causes the masked array object to lose the mask.  If you encounter such
> situations, it is usually a bug and should be reported.

Do you think then in my case assigning the masked array to np.zeros and
getting a non-masked return is a bug or I should make sure that I am
providing a masked array equivalent zeros function before I start
doing computation?

And also if the inner execution could be clarified by asanyarray assertion
why there is ma equivalent array operation functions?

> Actually, that reminds me... watch out for np.polyfit() with masked
> arrays.  It doesn't behave quite nicely with masked arrays and the results
> are deceptive.  It may appear to be right, but it is not.  Use
> np.ma.polyfit().

Hah, you should see my scipy.optimize.leastsq in action. I estimate
geometric mean and standard deviation parameters for log-normal aerosol
population. It runs, with the values masked and unmasked (from above
np.zeros and np.ma.zeros difference) but resulting all kind interesting
estimates.

> Ben Root

Gökhan