[Numpy-discussion] how to store variable length string in array and get single char by it's position?

kee chen keekychen.shared at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 12:25:15 EDT 2010

Dear All,

Suppose I have a list group some kind like DNA sequence:

1  ATGCATGCAATTGGCC
 2  ATGCATGCAATTGGCCATCD
 3  CATGCAATTGGCCCCCCCCC
100000 CATGCAAATTGGCCCCCCCCC

the string length of each item is not sure and may get change/update later,
then how can I store above in a numpy array (include the ID) and easy to get
the single value?

for example
1.  ATGCATGCAATTGGCC
I want get the first T then I use something like array[1][1], means
A[T]G......   and if I want to update the 3rd postion I can use array[1][2]
= T to set the AT[G]C... to AT[T]C...?

Thanks for any hints.

Rgs,
KC