[Numpy-discussion] recarray to csv

John Hunter jdh2358 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 10:19:39 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:

> Why is this function in matplotlib?  Wouldn't it be more useful in numpy?

I tend to add stuff I write to matplotlib.  mlab was initially a
repository of matlab-like functions that were not available in numpy
(load, save, linspace, psd, cohere, polyfit, polyval, prctile, ...).
I've always encouraged numpy developers to harvest what they want and
move them into numpy, and many of these functions have been moved.
Once they make it into stable numpy, we deprecate them and eventually
remove them from mlab.  Many of the rec functions have been ported to
numpy in  numpy.lib.recfunctions.  There are some differences,
particularly in the csv2rec (mpl handles date parsing) and I rely
heavily on all these functions, so I have not ported all my code to
use numpy yet.  We should start the process of deprecating the ones
that have been ported and have API and functional compatibility.

JDH