[Numpy-discussion] whitespace in git repo

Friedrich Romstedt friedrichromstedt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 16:48:45 EDT 2010

2010/10/21 Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com>:
> I filed a new pull request, http://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/7 .
> This should enforce LF on all text files, with the current exception
> of the nsi.in file, which is CRLF. The svgs have been converted to LF.
> Additional, confusing reading can be found at
> http://help.github.com/dealing-with-lineendings/ ,
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html, and
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitattributes.html .

Hm, I like you pull request more than my own branch, but I think your
conclusions might be incorrect.

``* text=auto`` forces git to normalise *all* text files, including
the .nsi.in file, to LF *in the repo only*.  But it says nothing about
how to set eol in the working dir.

``[...].nsi.in eol=crlf`` forces git to check-out the .nsi.in file with CRLF.

At least this is what the gitattributes.html we both seem to use says.

So it's perfect, it keeps the repo clean, but allows users to
check-out how they want,
Friedrich