[Numpy-discussion] help from OS X 10.5 users wanted

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 10 01:34:43 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 2:59 AM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net>wrote:

> Did you get any responses on this? I can install 10.5 and help out
> with some testing. I have a macbookpro that does not turn of (Hardware
> issue) but it is good for testing. I could setup remote access on this
> if of interest to you.

Yes I got one response at http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1322, a
negative one unfortunately. My conclusion is that binaries built on 10.6 do
not work on 10.5 even when using the correct SDK and deployment target. A
lot of software seems to have this same problem. Backward compatibility on
OS X is good, but forward compatibility is not.

Sage distributes separate binaries for each OS X version, presumably
compiled on those same versions. If we want to have a 10.5 binary we should
just do the same. However, gives the lack of responses I'm not sure how much
of a need there is for 10.5 binaries (please speak up ...).

The binary naming scheme should also change to include the version.

> Is there anything like the Python devs build bot for automated install
> and testing testing of numpy and scipy?

There's a numpy buildbot: http://buildbot.scipy.org/, but it does not
build/install binaries. I also just noticed it has not been updated for the
switch to git - perhaps an indication of how much attention we're paying to
it.

Ralf