[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.5.1 on RedHat 5.5

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Mon Nov 29 13:32:04 EST 2010

I'm trying to install NumPy 1.5.1 on RedHat 5.5 and I'm having trouble
getting it to find the ATLAS libraries.  I did a lot of Googling but
didn't find anything that helped...also looked through the install
instructions, but they focus mainly on Ubuntu.

The problem I'm having is it's looking for the libraries in the right
location, but not finding them.  e.g.:

atlas_blas_info:
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /opt/python-2.5/lib
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib64
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib64/atlas
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib64/sse2
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib64
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib/sse2
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib
  NOT AVAILABLE

...and yet...

brodbd at patas:~/numpy-1.5.1$ locate libf77blas
/usr/lib64/atlas/libf77blas.so.3
/usr/lib64/atlas/libf77blas.so.3.0
brodbd at patas:~/numpy-1.5.1$ locate libcblas
/usr/lib64/atlas/libcblas.so.3
/usr/lib64/atlas/libcblas.so.3.0
brodbd at patas:~/numpy-1.5.1$ locate libatlas
/usr/lib64/atlas/libatlas.so.3
/usr/lib64/atlas/libatlas.so.3.0

So the libraries are there, and they're where NumPy is looking for
them, but it's still not finding them?  Clearly I'm missing something,
but I'm not sure what.

--
David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics