[Numpy-discussion] merge_arrays is very slow; alternatives?

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Nov 26 15:27:08 EST 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 20:57:30 +0100, Gerrit Holl wrote:
[clip]
> I wonder, am I missing something or have I really written a significant
> improvement in less than 10 LOC? Should I file a patch for this?

The implementation of merge_arrays doesn't look optimal -- it seems to
actually iterate over the data, which should not be needed.

So yes, rewriting the function would be useful. The main difficulty in
the rewrite seems to be appropriate mask handling, but slicing is a
faster way to do that.

--
Pauli Virtanen